Monday, May 29, 2006

Mrs. Henderson Presents

Should have written just after watching the movie. The movie deserves that.

Judy Dench. If you haven't seen her other than as James Bond's boss, you have missed a lot. I have. I have seen her other than as Bond's boss, but really missed her bests. Mrs. Henderson Presents made it up for that. wow is the word for the lady. :)

The director and Bob Hoskins seem to be acclaimed in their own rights. I don't know anything about them. Bob was OK for me, as I was busy admiring Judy, Will young and ofcourse the direction. The direction is the dominating wow factor in this movie. It is not about recrearting the time that amazed me, it was the theatre. Nude ladies so artistically portrayed. I used to be cynical when they show nudity and call it art, well, I am a middle class girl, what do I know about art? :-) But, this MHP really made sense of the word "artistic" for me, that too, I was able to comprehend that naked women could really be seen as a form of art, through artistic eyes ofcourse.:), no.., honesly, it was nice.

Judy brings Mrs. Henderson alive. Not overdoing is very difficult, but only Judy could do that. I really can't believe how she could bring those emotions so real when someone says "action ... and cut..." That scene when she visits Alec, the emotion she shows!

The chocolate Will Young. I thought the character was written for him. To my surprise, it seems that he went for audition and worked hard to get the part. I know I always liked the guy. :) I love his voice, particularly when he sings old kind of songs. Added perks in this movie, his songs.

I liked it.

It is based on a true story.

update: plot
Plot Summary at imdb

Laura Henderson is a recent widow, who has spent her most of her life by being a "wife". When her "inconsiderate" (for leaving her alone) husband (that was her words, not mine) dies, she is left with huge wealth and absolutely no idea on what to do with her life. Friends suggest that she is "free" to do anything now. She even buys the idea of knitting or having a toyboy lover. Not convinced by those ideas, she is on the look out for exciting ideas. She sees a theatre up for sale. she buys it. Again, doesn't know what to do with it. Her manager (accountant?) suggest a right man for the job. They do not get along at all, which is what Mrs. Henderson likes about it. Anything against the rule, anything that is not normal, excites her. She likes anything which otherwise would normally be termed as outrageous during her time. Van Damn (Bob Hoskins) is a good manager and runs the theatre successfully experimenting new ideas, while the other London theatres were very conventional and stereotype. Soon after the success of Windmill (the theatre run by Mrs. Henderson and Van Damm), many copycats theatres crop up, ruining the income for the Windmill. Then Mrs. H suggests the idea of having nude girls in the show. Lord Chamberlain, who licenses live shows in Britain unable to escape from Mrs. H's charms, licenses her idea to have nude girls with a condition that they should not move and should only be used as a form of art. She agrees. War time Brittain with many girls looking for jobs compromise their values and become Windmill girls, strangely to find themselves more safe to be nude on the stage than to be on the street fully covered.. So more girls come in. Windmill gains popularity again.. Some romantic encounters, some emotions,.. some dilemmas, and some lives..:)



Warning: Many naked girls. Will Young goes naked too. Bob Hoskins going naked was too much for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Premalatha said...

puriyala!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Dadoji said...

But what is the plot?

7:20 AM  
Blogger Premalatha said...

see the update

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home